A 1-year-old baby boy was killed and three men were wounded on Sunday when a gunman opened fire on people at a cookout in a Brooklyn park, the police said.
The baby, Davell Gardner, was hit in the abdomen when shooting broke out at about 11:30 p.m. near the Raymond Bush Playground in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood, the police said. He was taken to Maimonides Medical Center, where he died.
Bullets also struck a 25-year-old man in the ankle, a 36-year-old man in the leg and a 27-year-old man in the groin. All were taken to hospitals and were expected to survive, the police said.
The death of the infant capped another weekend of gun violence in New York City, where shootings in June and July have risen sharply over the period last year.
Chief Jeffrey Maddrey, who was recently promoted to lead the New York Police Department’s Community Affairs bureau, appealed for an end to the violence on Monday morning, in a Twitter message, saying, “This. Must. STOP!”
In separate shootings on Sunday night, two boys, aged 12 and 15, were among others wounded in the city over the weekend.
The 15-year-old was hit in the wrist at 9:10 p.m. on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard near 143rd Street in Manhattan, the New York Post reported. The 12-year-old was shot in the leg at about 9:10 p.m. on Prospect Place near Ralph Avenue in the Crown Heights neighborhood in Brooklyn.